Venue: Sivagami Pettachi Auditorium, Luz Church Road, Mylapore, Chennai
Date: 09 Dec 2006
Organizer: Brahma Gana Sabha
Vocal: Priya Sisters
Violin: Sri M.A. Krishnaswamy
Mridangam: Sri Pathri Satish Kumar
Ghatam: Sri Madipakkam Murali
List of songs:
1) mahishAsura mardanI (varnam) – AndOlikA – Adi – harikEsanallUr muthiAh bhAgavatar
2) tatvamariya taramA – rItigOwLa – Adi – pApanAsam sivan (S)
3) nallani mEni – pUrvi kalyANi – Adi – annamAchArya
4) rAma bANa – sAvEri – Adi – thyAgarAja (ANS)
5) enadu manam – harikAmbOji – Adi – pApanAsam sivan
6) kAmAkshI kAmakOTi – simhEndramadyamam – rUpakam – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (AS)
7) mI valla – kApi – kanDa chApu – thyAgarAja
8 ) mOhana rAmA – mOhanam – Adi – thyAgarAja (ANST)
9) kattEdurA vaikunTamu – hindOLam – Adi – annamAchArya
10) perumAL un tirunAmam – sindhubhairavi – Adi – ??
11) telisitE mOkshamu – rEvati – Adi – annamAchArya
12) tamaru mamaru (tiruppugazh) – hamIr kalyANi – rUpakam – aruNagirinAtar
13) pavamAna (mangaLam) – sOwrAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
A well planned concert which kept the audience interested throughout. There has been minimal overlap, if at all any, of the songs in the 3-4 Priya Sisters concerts I have attended in the past few weeks. They seem to have a very good repertoire of kritis, especially Annamacharya kritis and the tukkadas that come towards the end. A large part of the audience stays on even after taniavartanam for hearing the tukkadas in their concerts.
Sri Pathri Satish Kumar on the mridangam was in awesome form today also. The taniavartanam had chatusra and misra naDais and the korvai in the end was classic stuff that blended perfectly with the start of the song at the end of the taniavartanam. Sri Madippakkam Murali played his supportive role on the ghatam very well. Sri M.A. Krishnaswamy was impressive on the violin. His mohanam alapana was really good.