Venue: Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall, TTK Road, Chennai
Date: 08 June 2007
Occasion: Sri Palani Subramaniam Pillai Gurupuja Day
Vocal: Vid Rama Ravi
Vocal Support: Vid Nandita Ravi
Violin: Vid M.R. Gopinath
Mrudangam: Vid Thanjavur Subramaniam
List of songs:
1) graha balam Emi – rEvagupti – Adi – tyAgarAja
2) manasu karuga – hamsadhwani – rUpakam – paTTaNam subramaNya iyer (S)
3) paripAhimAm shrI dAsharatE – shubapantuvarALi – Adi – mysore vAsudEvAcAr (NS)
4) kAppaduvE unadu bhAram – Anandabhairavi – rUpakam – vaDivElu (A)
5) paripUrNa kAma – pUrvikalyANi – rUpakam – tyAgarAja (ANS)
6) saundara rAjam – brindAvana sArangA – tisra Ekam (2 kaLai) – muthuswAmi dIkshitar
7) ninnE nammi nAnu – tODi – misra cApu – shyAma sAstri (ANST)
8 ) nArimaNi (jAvaLi) – khamAs – Adi – dharmapuri subbarAyar
9) padari varugudu (padam) – kAmbOji – tisra Ekam (2 kaLai) – vaidIshwarankoil subbarAmayyar
10) vandE mAtaram ambikAm bhagavati (viruttam) – sAvEri, kalyANi, madyamAvati
11) uruvAi aruvAi (tiruppugazh) – madyamAvati – kanDa cApu – aruNagirinAthar
12) karpagamE – madyamAvati – Adi – pApanAsam sivan
13) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – saurAshTram – Adi – tyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
I couldn’t have probably asked for a better start to this concert. “graha balam Emi“, the way it was sung by Vid Rama Ravi, sounded just perfect and served as an indicator of the quality concert that was in store for the rasikas. I could just go ga-ga about whatever Vid Rama Ravi sang. The kriti renditions that completely floored me were “graha balam Emi” and “saundara rAjam“, which is one of my personal favorites.
Vid M.R. Gopinath accompanied well on the violin. Vid. Tanjore Subramaniam’s mrudangam playing was filled with copious amount of “arai chAppus“. Taniavartanam had the chatusra and tisra naDais.
This was one concert where musicians themselves formed about half of the assembled audience. Many of them also participated in the individual short performances that were scheduled before the concert began.
Rasikas got nice food for their stomach too, apart from their ears, in the form of prasadam that was given after the concert got over.