Venue: TTD Information Center, Venkatanarayana Road, T. Nagar, Chennai
Date: 21 May 2007
Organizer: TTD Information Center
Vocal: Vid Prarthana Rao
Violin: Vid Karaikkal Venkatasubramaniam
Mrudangam: Vid Erode Nagaraj
Tambura: Vid Keerthana Rao
List of songs:
1) inta mODi (varnam) – sArangA – Adi – tiruvOtriyUr tyAgayya (O)
2) vandE anisham aham – hamsadhwani – Adi – mysore vAsudEvAcAr (S)
3) sAdincanE – Arabhi – Adi – tyAgarAja
4) cani tODi tEvE – harikAmbOji – Adi – tyAgarAja (ANS)
5) shrInivAsa nInE pAlisO – Anandabhairavi – Adi – purandaradAsa
6) innu daya bAradE – kalyANavasantam – kanDa cApu – purandaradAsa (A)
7) praNamAmyaham shrI prANanAtham – ranjani – misra tripuTa – mysore vAsudEvAcAr
8 ) kamalAmbAm bhajarE – kalyAni – Adi – muthuswAmi dIkshitar (ANST)
9) venkaTAcala nilayam – sindhubhairavi – Adi – purandaradAsa
10) tuNai purindaruL – sudha hindOLam (varamu) – Adi – pApanAsam sivan
11) kurai onrum illai – rAgamAlikA – Adi – c.rAjagOpAlachAri
12) nI nAma rUpa mulaku (mangaLam) – saurAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
Almost a galaxy of composers was represented by the choice of songs, with special emphasis on Purandaradasa & Mysore Vasudevachar. As a result, I got to hear a couple of songs for the first time ( songs 5 & 7 in the above list). I liked the kalyANavasantam alapanas by both the vocalist and the violinst. The experience of Sri Erode Nagaraj shone right through the concert both in the excellent way in which he accompanied for the songs as well as the way in which he played the taniavartanam.
If I remember the announcement made correctly, Vid Prarthana has been under the tutelage of Vid Mani Krishnaswamy, Vid T.K. Govinda Rao & Vid Chengleput Ranganathan and has also been taking guidance from Vid Kadri Gopalnath.
Hindu reviewer SVK’s presence was also announced. I think we can look forward to a review of this concert in the newspaper this Friday.