Venue: Narada Gana Sabha Mini Hall, TTK Road, Chennai
Date: 24 Apr 2007
Organizer: Saraswathi Vaggeyakara Trust (Sri Thyagaraja Jayanthi)
Vocal: Smt. Sangeetha Sivakumar
Violin: Sri R.K.Shriramkumar
Mridangam: Sri Poongulam Subramaniam
Ghatam: Sri S. Karthick
Tambura: Sri Ganesan
List of songs:
1) vidulaku mrokkEdA – mAyAmALavagOwLa – Adi – thyAgarAja (ONS)
2) vAcAmagOcaramE – kaikavasi – Adi – thyAgarAja
3) bhaktuni caritramu vinavE – bEgaDa – Adi – thyAgarAja (AS)
4) raghuvIra raNadhIra – husEni – rUpakam – thyAgarAja
5) yajnAdulu – jayamanOhari – Adi – thyAgarAja
6) endu dAginADO – tODi – misra cApu – thyAgarAja (ANST)
7) ennaga manasuku – nIlAmbari – Adi – thyAgarAja
8 ) tava dAsOham – punnAgavarALi – Adi – thyAgarAja
9) jayamangaLam nitya shubhamangaLam (mangaLam) – ghanTA – kanDa cApu – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
This is the second concert of Vid. Sangeetha Sivakumar I attended in the past 2 days. What impressed me most was the selection of songs, many of which are not heard much in the concert circuit today. I am hearing the bEgaDa composition and the mangaLam for the first time.
Detailed raga alapanas were done for bEgaDa and tODi. Both Vid. Sangeetha and Vid. R.K. Shriramkumar excelled in their raga delineations. All the kritis were sung very well to some explosive percussion support. Vid. Shriramkumar played with a lot of involvement for all the songs. Neraval and kalpana swarams were put for “vidulaku mrokkEdA” at “kamalA gaurI …” and for “endu dAginADO” at “alanADu kanakakashipu ….”. Kalpana swarams were put for the bEgaDa composition at “bhaktuni caritramu“.
Vid. Poongulam Subramaniam and Vid. S. Karthick played taniavartanam in misra cApu tALam with eDuppu at samam. It comprised of two chatusra naDai portions followed by a kuraippu.