Venue: Asthika Samajam, Venus Colony, Alwarpet, Chennai
Date: 08 Jan 2007
Organizer: Asthika Samajam
Vocal: Sri T.M. Krishna (TMK)
Violin: Sri T.K.V. Ramanujacharyulu
Mridangam: Sri Karaikudi R. Mani
Ghatam: Sri V. Suresh
List of songs:
1) jagadAnandakArakA – nATTai – Adi – thyAgarAja
2) paripUrNa kAma – pUrvikalyANi – rUpakam – thyAgarAja (ANS)
3) enduku nirdaya – harikAmbOji – Adi – thyAgarAja (O)
4) raksha beTTarE – bhairavi – Adi – thyAgarAja (AST)
5) kshIra sAgara vihArA – Anandabhairavi – kanDa chApu – thyAgarAja
6) nArAyaNa hari – yamunAkalyANi – Adi – thyAgarAja (O)
7) sItA kalyANa vaibhOgamE – kurinji – kanDa chApu- thyAgarAja
8 ) nI nAma rUpamulaku (mangaLam) – sowrAshTram – Adi – thyAgarAja
(Key: O=raga outline, A=raga alapana, N=neraval, S=kalpana swaram, T=taniavartanam)
TMK seems to have mastered this formula of delivering good performances one after the other. He is giving concerts almost daily; I have been to most of his Chennai concerts in Dec and Jan and have always come back having listened to good quality music.
What better way to start the concert on the Thyagaraja Aradhana day than with “jagadAnandakArakA” !!! TMK sang this pancharatna kriti of Sri Thyagaraja to some great percussion support from Sri Karaikudi Mani and Sri Suresh. pUrvikalyANi and bhairavi were taken for elaboration and both TMK and Sri Ramanujacharyulu on the violin did a great job with the alapanas. The post-taniavartanam songs, especially “kshIra sAgara vihArA“, were rendered so movingly.
The taniavartanam comprising chatusra and tisra naDais was a class act. What else to expect with Sri Karaikudi Mani and Sri Suresh in action !! The close to 1 minute of non-stop applause that followed the 23 min taniavartanam was testimony to their brilliance.